On this day, I set about trying to repair what weren’t tears but places where the document was crumbling due to age and use. I spoke with my supervisor and we decided to reinforce the crumbling corners and outer edge with tissue. Due to the mend I did previously on that edge, I did the reinforcement in two parts so no tissue would overlap. If the tissue overlapped, the double thickness of the paper there might cause another tear. Here is how it looked after the reinforcement:
I also spritzed another map with distilled water in another book (there are three total) and pressed it dry:
Very beautiful maps! Next time I’ll finish up the first map and start on the second. I’ve got a lot to do!