January 10th, 2014!

Happy New Year!

I unveiled some of my work from the last time I was here – more mending on the C.C. Cody envelope. This project has been such good experience – I’ve learned what it would entail to mend a semi-complete piece of paper and what hurdles one might encounter, such as the challenge of making sure the mend that you do between two sections allows the rest of the paper to lie flat. So many things that you should pay attention to! I only have a few more tiny mends to do on this envelope that I found by holding the paper up to a light, but here is a picture of it as it is now.

20140110-150027.jpg

I am also working on a Southwestern University publication called the Sou’wester. I have two oversized pieces of newsprint, which we decided to cut down the center to make washing and mending easier. Here it is in it’s original state.

20140110-150037.jpg

As I said, I cut the large newsprint sheets down the middle, after measuring carefully to find the center, as the old center crease was not a good guide. I am now beginning the process of washing them (putting them in a bath of distilled water) and then letting them sit for a while so that the fibers plump up, which will help with the strength of the paper when it is dried. Here is a photo of it in the bath.

20140110-150047.jpg

I then carefully extracted the newsprint from the bath, and placed between two, untreated pieces of board, then two pieces of blotting paper, and then put another piece of board on top and then weighted the whole thing. The result should be a stronger, much flatter piece of newsprint, ready for mending!

One more thing I need to do hopefully before I leave is to make a mylar envelope to keep the pages I am working on clean and in a safe place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *